Window Cleaning Tips – Free Advice
Would you agree that cleaning windows is one of the most frustrating of all household jobs? At Sydney Window Cleaning, we agree! Rest assured, this article is full of great window cleaning tips so that you too can become a DIY do it yourself window cleaner!
We won’t be discussing the old vinegar and newspaper method, or window cleaning with methylated spirits, but we’ll stick with the right methods as used by professional window cleaners the world over.
On the job with one of the boys! But does he demonstrate the best way to clean windows? You may be surprised to learn the answer!
What is the Best Window Cleaning Solution?
Answer: 1. Water & Detergent
- The water can be warm or cold it does not make much of a difference.
- The detergent is the same as the household variety that is used to clean your kitchen dishes.
- When combined with water it forms a soapy solution that is perfect to remove the most common contaminants found on dirty windows such as environmental dirt, dust, and grease from handprints.
- Forget about all the fancy additives you may have heard of such as vinegar, methylated spirits and newpaper. It’s all useless. In fact, it may make your glass look even worse! Most professional window cleaners use little more than water and a good detergent.
- There are a variety of brands, and we are not sponsored by any particular brand but we use Earth Choice Environmentally friendly version or Morning Fresh.
Window Cleaning Tools and Equipment
Window Cleaner Bucket
- 1. Bucket to hold the solution
- 2. Washer/ Applicator
- 3. Squeegee
- 4. Rags
- 5. Scraper (optional)
- The bucket does not really matter, but if you want a proper window cleaners bucket then purchase one that is long enough to fully immersed the squeegee and washing pad.
- The squeegee should have a new rubber with sharp edges and no nicks or other damage. For basic household window cleaning you could try a size ranging from 12 to 18 inches. We have found that the most popular brands among the professionals are Sorbo and Wagtail but for the occasional household clean you don’t need the high end gear.
- The washer or applicator could be of a similar size. We use Ettore brand applicators as they hold water well but they are not cheap so if your not cleaning that often then a generic model should do.
- Rags should ideally be lint free for edging but any rag can be used for wiping up excess water from the window sills. You can’t go wrong with microfibre rags.
- The Scraper is used for solid debris. (We won’t discuss this here but please see our page on Post-Construction Builders Clean for more information).
What is the Best Window Cleaning Method?
Always keep in mind that it is that the washing pad/applicator that cleans the glass. The better and more thoroughly you scrub the glass, the easier it is to use the rubber squeegee afterward and the better the result!
How is the Window Squeegee used?
The squeegee is used to collect and remove the excess dirty water once the window has been cleaned by the washer. You are basically guiding all the water away from the surface of the glass without letting any escape back to where it has already been removed.
Window Cleaning Tips – Conclusion
There you have it, hopefully, by sharing these window cleaning tips, we have set you on the right track and you now know how to clean windows in your own home! For a beginner, the above methods and techniques are fairly easy to implement. Still, the above is just a simple “how to guide“. Mastering all areas of window cleaning will take a while. And some windows will still need a professional to get the job done quickly, safely and to a high standard. We have years of experience in cleaning Sydney’s most challenging windows.
For more window cleaning tips or to have us come to clean your windows professionally!