SERVICE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
At SWC Sydney Window Cleaning we offer a comprehensive window cleaning and glass restoration service. Our techniques can remove hard water staining and scratches without compromising the look or integrity of your glass.
Glass Scratch Removal in Sydney
Why try and repair scratches? Isn’t replacement better?
Replacing glass can be very expensive. A glass installer must substitute each piece of old glass for new. The installer may also have to replace surrounding structures such as woodwork, plaster, brickwork, tiling or flooring. Of course, if the window can be repaired without removal then will dramatically reduce costs. The advantage of glass scratch repair is that it can be done on site without removing the pane.
How is scratched glass repaired?
- The technician machines the scratched area with a coarse grade sanding pad to remove the majority of the damage.
- They then re-machine the glass each time doing so with progressively finer pads. Each time covering a wider area. This is to ensure that the surface is as flat and uniform as possible, blending in the machined area with the surrounding glass.
- Next, they buff and polish the glass to a fine finish until indistinguishable from the untouched glass.
- Finally, the technician checks how the glass reflects light to ensure there is no noticeable distortion.
What materials and Glass scratch repair tools are used?
- A variable speed electric drill, angle grinder or specialised polishing machine. Usually, hand-held and battery powered for convenience.
- A variety of sanding pads with various ranges of grit. A softer buffing pad to finish.
- Cerium Oxide as a polishing compound or equivalent.
- Dust mask to protect against amorphous silica dust inhalation. And earmuffs and safety goggles of course.
What kind of scratches can be removed?
A technician can nearly always remove shallow, light scratches. However deeper scratches may need a lot more work to get them out. If the glass is very thin or aged then it may be better to replace the pane.
Glass thickness is a major factor. Thicker glass can withstand more of the repair process. Our technicians will be able to remove even deep scratches if the glass is thick enough. If there is any doubt, they may use a digital optical micrometer to measure the deepest scratches. The technician will then consider the ratio of scratch depth to glass thickness and determine if the glass scratch can be repaired.
Types of Glass that can be repaired
Newer glass such as Viridian ComfortPlus e-glass is more difficult to repair. Viridian VLam and other laminated types present similar challenges. The technician will not be able to apply the machine to the laminated glass surface. On the non-laminated glass side, there will be no problem in removing the scratch. Clear float is the easiest to repair.
Hard Water Stain Removal
Dirty water that contains various impurities or is rich in calcium or other minerals can leave staining. There is nothing more unsightly than having your glass covered in thick hard water staining. We can remove any hard water stains using our special compound and a multi-stage buffing process. Using a variety of pads and our machine, we can buff out any stains in your new or old glass.
Glass Cleaning and Restoration
Glass type can affect maintenance. For example, whether the glass is hydrophobic or hydrophilic can determine the cleaning method. That is whether the water sticks to the surface or not. Different coatings determine the methods used for cleaning and also scratch repair.
In some areas, windows are covered by thick foliage. The wind may blow dust, dirt, sap, resin and other particles from trees onto your windows. Fortunately, we are able to remove thick solidified material from your glass safely. Our window cleaners use a white scratch-proof scrubbing pad, sometimes in conjunction with a bristled applicator pad. Combined with a bit of elbow grease, these pads ensure that the toughest markings will come off without damaging your glass.
If after being scrubbed down there remains some staining then we can perform stain removal to bring up the glass back to a near new clear condition. Any scratches can be removed using our scratch repair processes.
Why use SWC Sydney Window Cleaning? Why not another company?
As a specialist glass cleaning and maintenance company, we can steer you in the right direction. We offer residential, commercial and construction services. We always try and find the easiest solution to keep your costs down. Normally we will come out to inspect the glass and provide a quotation and recommendations.